Why your meetings must have conflict & context

If you're a manager or a leader the chances are that you're involved meetings of some sort.

This is because they are a crucial activity of every business, where we make decisions about how we spend our time and energy in the future.
All good stuff, except all too often, they're unproductive and as boring as hell, aren't they?

Bad meetings are a painful and underestimated problem in most businesses. And probably the most boring, tedious, uninspiring part of our jobs and why we say they're so frustrating and pointless.

But they don't have to be this way! It's possible to transform your meetings into compelling, productive and even fun activities.
Do this and you'll get massive rewards - more done and more done quicker.

So why are most meetings so boring and ineffective?

It all boils down to two things, a lack of conflict and context.

1. Conflict: This is why they're boring. We need to get stuck in and take part in conflict with passionate discussions and challenging ideas to keep people engaged and get results. Note: It's important to stick to productive conflict, not the personal back-stabbing type.

Conflict may cause discomfort, but if it's not tackled in the meeting it'll cause suffering in the corridors or at the water cooler.

Tell your team you expect more conflict from them. For some this wlll feel uncomfortable, but they'll have to get comfortable feeling uncomfortable!

2. Context: This is why they're ineffective. Many organisations have one type of meeting where ideas are randomly discussed, such as admin, tactics and strategy. A sort of meeting stew!

When this happens people lack clarity and can't work out exactly what they should be doing. Brainstorming, debating, listening or weighing in?
To get a clear purpose of what's going on we need a little structure of say 3 types of meetings.

1. Daily Admin/Check-In: Just 5 minutes while standing up to get everyone aligned for the day.
2. Weekly Tactical: 60 minutes where everyone reports their priorities in 60 secs before drawing up an agenda about the stuff you measure: revenue, expenses, customer satisfaction, etc.
3. Monthly Strategy: The most interesting and even fun meeting where you analyse, debate and decide the big issues.

Right now you're probably thinking okay, but there's no way I have time for all those meetings! Well, there is, and here's why.

All those meetings will use up just 10% of your time, leaving you 90% to focus on everything else you have to do such as creating a vision, planning or maybe business lunch or two!

Meetings are a key part of a healthy organisation.  Good meetings get rid of your people's fears about people speaking honestly about their hopes, disappointments and frustrations to create a high performing team.

So jump on the phone and call me for up to one hour, free of charge and I'll explain how your team meetings can be exciting and productive to give your business a competitive advantage!

Let's speak on 07557 514880 and connect on LinkedIn!

Best regards, Jon.

Why your meetings must have conflict and context